Shirodhara is a purifying and rejuvenating therapy in Ayurveda that involves gently pouring therapeutic liquids over the forehead or the ‘third eye’. The name comes from the Sanskrit words ‘shiras’ means head and ‘dhara’ means flow. The liquids used in shirodhara depend on what is being treated, but can include oil, milk, buttermilk, coconut water, or even plain water.
Shirodhara is a unique form of ancient therapy. The liquid is poured on the forehead from a specific height and for a specific period continuously and rhythmically allowing it to run through the scalp and into the hair.
Shirodhara has been used to treat a variety of conditions including eye diseases, sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, greying of hair, neurological disorders, memory loss, insomnia, hearing impairment, tinnitus, vertigo, and certain types of skin diseases like psoriasis. It is also used non-medicinally at spas for its relaxing properties.
Shirodhara session starts with an interview with an Ayurvedic practitioner. He will determine the patient’s body type and make recommendations for the type of shirodhara treatment needed for the individual.
After the interview the client lies on an inclined table with his or her palms facing up. Aromatic essential oils are applied to the hands, the nose, and sometimes the feet. Gentle stream of warm liquid is run over the forehead. The session may also include light massage of the scalp, face, and neck.
A Shirodhara session can last up to an hour or two. It is usually carried out in a calm room with neutral music, diffused natural light, candles, flowers, and other decorations which are intended to promote relaxation. After the session, the client is gently wiped clean with warm, moist towels.
Here are Few Benefits of Shirodhara:
- Shirodhara has many benefits in store as it offers a way to relax the body and the mind with the help of oils and medicated liquids. This is a way to purify and rejuvenate one’s body and soul.
- Shirodhara helps to remove all the built up harmful elements from the body. This also helps one to feel relaxed and helps a person to have a positive approach towards life.
- Massaging done in shirodhara generates energy through the body. It helps the nutrients flow freely to the brain of a person and facilitates one to heal from within.
- Shirodhara also helps to improve the functions of five senses and helps to stabilize the nervous system of the body.
- It is proven useful for helping people get rid of insomnia.
- Problems such as headaches and hair loss are also treated to great extent following shirodhara.
- Shirodhara also helps to cool down the body and helps to increase our levels of concentration to a great extent.
more details call on
(+971) 56-615 3 679